Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Starting the New Year with Rambling

Happy New Year!

We had a wonderful Christmas at home before heading down to Georgia and South Carolina to see our families.

This occasion was the first time in 8 years that my parents' children, grandchildren and all of the sons-in-law have been together.  We've added 4 more kids to the mix since then.

My mother's Christmas present was an outdoor photo session with all 16 of us.  I think she was very happy about that.  (And I am very happy that the weather cooperated!) I haven't seen the pictures yet, but I'm hoping that at least some of them will turn out well.  The odds are good, right?

After spending some time with my family, we went to see John's parents and sister. We are able to see them more frequently than my family but it is always nice to spend some time at the holidays with everyone.

We had our first "major" snow accumulation of this season last night.  (It was only 2-3 inches.  Pfft.)  It was enough to cover the roads and cancel school today, which the kids were happy about.

They were able to sled down the hill a couple of times before they were on the grass.  And it was SO BITTERLY COLD today (14 F) that they didn't stay outside very long, anyway.

I've only got 2 classes left in my quilt block-of-the-month thingy.  They're starting another block-of-the-month class in March and the teacher is really trying to get me to do this one, too- she said I would love it.  I've really learned a lot this past year, so I'm considering it.  The shop will be previewing the project sometime this month; I think I will wait and see what it looks like before deciding.  (It's supposed to be a sampler quilt, which I've been wanting to do.)

And I like the monthly classes, too.  I feel like I've accomplished something when I can finish a block after taking one.  (Just ignore the fact that I currently have 4 blocks unfinished on my barn quilt; guess I need to finish those before my February class.) I've also got some other unfinished projects that I need to finish.  Sigh.  I really need to make more time for quilting...

My sisters and I decided that we need to meet at the Grand Canyon in 4 years.  Guess what that means?  I get to plan another road trip!  Any suggestions of places we need to see?  Guess at some point I will also ask the kids (and John, of course) what they would like to see out there before I get too detailed.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind going back to that waterslide at the EconoLodge in KS.

John

Kat said...

Happy New Year!
Sounds like you've had a good start to the year!
Can't wait to hear about your plans for your next road trip! :)

Nancy M. said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas time with family! Hope the pics turn out great! I love planning any type of trip, I just think it's so fun!